Add to Technorati Favorites

     Be sure to sign up for your free weekly newsletter, delivered free to your inbox.

 
Name
Email
GET INTO RADIO: I hope we're pitching it just right

A blog site with information on how to get into radio, and what to do once you're there!

Friday, October 20, 2006

I hope we're pitching it just right

Hi there, Neil here, and how are you. Just finished another week in the world of radio, and thought- aha, time to write to my subscribers again.

I do hope that you are finding these newsletters useful, helpful and entertaining- do feel free to reply to any of the posts, and if you have any questions that you would like me to answer, then e-mail me on nlenterprises@hotmail.co.uk and I will answer your question as best I can.

Welcome new subscribers this week as well.

Ok here we go....

Good-

Radio Gossip


Ofcom today published a consultation on proposed Format changes to 102.2 Smooth FM (Greater London). The station owners, GMG Radio, are seeking to change the station to become an easy-listening music-led station targeting the over-50s.

Funny thing the London market, it can change on a dime! They have a good market, there are 3.2 million over 55's in London.

Reassuring in a way, as I said before, new jobs in new markets are being created every day.


Sensitivity

Is there a case for different news at different times of the day. Are certain stories too graphic to be broadcast at certain times?

Some think so, and there are different criteria, depending on the time of day, and depending on who's going to be listening- for example at breakfast time, there will be a lot of kids listening- is that a case for not making the news overly graphic?

Some TV stations broadcast more graphic pictures after the watershed then before.

Sometimes I think it is a bit hypocritical- it seems ok to broadcast pictures of war and violence round the world, at most times of day, but there were complaints when a man showed his penis on the Richard and Judy show in a medical item. Go figure?

I'd be interested in your thoughts. I have often wondered what the effect would be like if a radio station broadcast only positive stories. What would it be like? Is the news media negatively slanted? What do you think?

and finally..

How to deal with umm, certain listeners.

I asked a psychologist friend of mine what creates the "stalkers" of this world.

Emotional Attachment she said...

Please explain I said- It's along the lines of them kind of bonding with the personality on air, almost seeing the personality as the source of their well being- almost feeling that there is more of a relationship than there really is. Of course, as a presenter, and indeed in any job, it's good to be appreciated for what you do, but this goes way too far.

Anyone seen Play Misty for me.

Or Misery- "I'm your number one fan"

OK this is extreme and unusual, but I had one at Capital-her name was Gema and she said she was moving closer to me because she was pregnant with my daughter.

I was drunk, it meant nothing!

..and once she turned up to a gig that I was doing, saw my girlfriend, came up and slammed her drink down on the table and said "That's my boyfriend you bitch....."


So how to deal with them if you have umm- regular listeners. keep a level of professional distance- it's not the easiest job to do that in because as a presenter you are naturally warm and friendly, probably, but when they ring up.... and say "Hi it's......Dave", say something like "Dave who"- so they don't get any wrong ideas about the nature of the relationship. It may be a bit hurtful to them that you're not the best friend they thought you were, but the alternative is probably worse!!


Hope you enjoyed this edition, coming soon, the world of Rock radio, and an interview with a real program controller!


Until next time.


Neil




Don't worry, if they're kosher they wont worry about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home